Saturday, July 14, 2007

July 14

Bastille Day! I don't celebrate this in the traditional way (ugly hats and fireworks and running around in the streets), nor do I celebrate it in any traditional way at all. It changes every year. Some years, I remember it a few days after the fact. This year, however, I honored it with a barbecue wherein none of my invitees were French.

IMG_1402.JPG
My barbecue is notoriously difficult to light. At its height, there were no less than six people attempting to ignite it, myself included.

IMG_1403.JPG
Look at those dour faces. We were dreaming of lovely grilled food, and the charcoal was not catching.

IMG_1404.JPG
See? The disappointment is crushing.

IMG_1406.JPG
Well, some people are more optimistic than others.

IMG_1409.JPG
It's picking up. (Also, here night falls like a ton of bricks.)

IMG_1415.JPG
Samantha chops wood. With my dad's hatchet. This makes her happy.

IMG_1463.JPG
Rosana takes matters into her own hands, and this is the result of a giant squirt of lighter fluid. This, plus the firewood and newspaper, worked.

IMG_1430.JPG
The stuff in foil is potatoes. There were tasty!

IMG_1433.JPG
The spread. THIS is what summer is to me. I suppose I can do this any time of year, but it tastes better in the summer.

IMG_1434.JPG
Tim and Marie arrive, bringing with them French German beer, which they likely also drink in France.

IMG_1435.JPG
We are happier with food on the grill.

IMG_1438.JPG
Marie has a new haircut.

IMG_1446.JPG
Sean the Rocket Man. Brain the size of a planet, contemplating the flames.

IMG_1448.JPG
Alec arrives to partake in the festivities.

IMG_1450.JPG
I always think this is a photo of Tal playing the banjo.


Marie took this photo. Your faithful narrator deserves a spot of embarrassment every now and again. They can't ALL be flattering photos. But I like this one because I LOVE CORN!!

IMG_1452.JPG
Crappy photo, but HAHAHA.

IMG_1471.JPG
Oh yeah, we forgot about the chicken.

IMG_1477.JPG
Bryan paints the chicken with barbecue sauce. What a great invention, barbecue sauce.

IMG_1479.JPG
More wood chopping for some MARSHMALLOWS!

No comments: